The Old Palestine Missionary Baptist was organized about 1890 at Browning Creek,
SoSo, Mississippi. Reverend G. Barnes, Brother Handy Knight, Brother Joe Hadden,
Brother Jack Knight, Brother Joe Broom, Brother Robert Jones, Reverand Cantwell,
and Brother Gable Easterling were the founders of this church.
Reverend G. Barnes was the first Pastor and remained until the church was moved to
this community about 1906. Old Palestine have had 16 Pastors.
Our present Pastor is Reverend Marvin D. Chapman. He was installed full time May
The following ministers are associates of Old Palestine: Pastor Anthony Murray, Minister
Athor Emmons Jr., Pastor Wayne Keys, Pastor Vernon Graves, Pastor Micheal Graves,
Pastor Earl Bridges, Minster Carroll Ulmer, Minister Alfonzo Butler, Minister Theodore
Clark, Pastor Gary Agee, and Pastor Ben Pittman.
These ministers started their journey in the ministry under the leadership of Pastor
Chapman; Minister Curtis Hill, Minister Micheal Smith, Minister Melvin Butler, and
Minister Antoine Young.
The Deacon Board have had 32 members since 1906. Presently we have eight deacons.
They are Deacon Howard Fortenberry ordained March 1972; Deacon Emanuel Frazier ordained
April 1978; Deacon Lucius Hales; Deacon T.J. Jefferson; Deacon Jimmie Keys ordained
July 1979; Deacon Early Gray February 1993; Deacon Edward Ratcliffe March 2000; and
Deacon Deacon Orlando Harris reinstated June 2009.
Since 1906, Old Palestine have had 20 trustees. The present trustees are Brother
Jimmie Harris, Brother George Clark, Brother Lee Ferrel, Brother Micheal Coleman,
Minister Curtis Hill, and Brother Douglas Hardy.
Lifted up Jesus' Name,
Hosted the District Congress
and many other events for 38 years in the red brick church across the road. God in
all His infinite wisdom impressed upon Pastor Marvin Chapman a vision of a larger
and more accommodating building for Old Palestine Church members to praise and worship
Him. Therefore, this building is the result of God Almighty Blessing. We entered
this Building on Saturday, August 8, 2009 praising the Lord. We had our dedication
service on Sunday, August 9, 2009.